In honor of me running the Houston marathon this weekend, I decided it would be fun to have a "reading marathon" in the classroom. After Christmas break, it can be challenging to get the kids excited about reading again and their stamina for reading isn't quite where it was before break. So I put together a fun and exciting way to increase their stamina and motivate them to come to the marathon. Perfect combo from my perspective. Here is how it worked:
10 minutes: Draw a new cover for your book
10 minutes: Read
10 minutes: Draw the main character and write 3 character traits to describe him/her
10 minutes: Read
10 minutes: Write a quick summary of what you read
10 minutes: Read
10 minutes: Draw your visualization and write a sentence
I must say it worked beautifully. The kids were totally psyched about reading and got in a good 30 minutes of reading and another 30 minutes of responding. I set the timer each time and fueled their bodies as well (just like I will be doing Sunday)! The kids loved their "fuel" which was apple juice and a red life saver.
Here are the pictures from a successful Reading Marathon!
 |
| CHEERS!!! Enjoying some "fuel" |
 |
| Tatum is hard at work. |
 |
| Sophia is working on her character...looking at our chart for traits. |
 |
| Great pic! |
 |
| "This was so much fun!" |
 |
| READING |
 |
| Love this shot! Lifesaver fuel is the best. |
 |
| Impressive |
 |
| We FINISHED!!! |
 |
| Show me your best running pose... |
No comments:
Post a Comment